Mining & Frac Sand Testing
We offer mining and frac sand testing. Testing is performed in a NELAP-accredited laboratory to test mine tailings for metals. In addition to NELAP, we use ISO standards for frac sand property analysis.
Contact us or call Bill Welbes at (651) 221-4084.
Acid Mine Drainage Testing & Analytical Services
LEGEND’s laboratory uses wet chemistry and advanced laboratory techniques to determine the acid producing potential of mine tailings. Sulfuric acid production can dissolve metals and increase the mobility of metals such as arsenic, copper, lead, and mercury. When these metals dissolve, they have the potential to contaminate surface and ground water.
LEGEND offers testing of various matrices including rock, ore, sediment, soil, water and by-products from the mineral extraction processes. LEGEND’s lab offers characterization of various mining bi-products in the efforts to meet regulatory standards.
- Acid Base Accounting (ABA)
- EPA Standard Acid Base Accounting (Sobek et al. 1978)
- Sulfur Speciation
- Net Acid Production Test (NAP)
- Net Acid Generating Test (NAG)
- Total, Organic and Inorganic Carbon
- Carbonate Determination
- Ultra-Trace Level Sulfate Analysis
- Humidity Cells ASTM D 5744-07 – Options A, B, and Minnesota Modified
- Meteoric Water Mobility Procedure ASTM E2242-07/MWMP
- Shake Flask ASTM D 3987-85
- Large Scale Column Leach Test
- EPA TCLP – EPA 1311
- Custom Procedures
- Field Tests
- Custom Test Procedures using Sub-Aqueous and Sub-Aerial Conditions-Leach Columns
- Biological Test Methods – Test for measuring emergence and growth of plants exposed to soil contaminants
- Inductively Coupled Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- Ion Chromatography (Cations/Anions)
- Automated Carbon and Sulfur Analyzer (Induction Furnace)
- Low Level Sulfate Analysis
- Total Carbon, Organic Carbon and Inorganic Carbon
- Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA)
LEGEND ISO 13503-2 Frac Sand Property Analysis
LEGEND performs proppant testing for physical and chemical properties following ISO method 13503-2. This standard for frac sand property analysis focuses on the sand particles for size, shape and properties crucial to frac sand performance. For accurate data, LEGEND analyzes particle size and shape by simultaneous determination using digital image processing for accurate and reproducible measurements of particles size from 30 um to 30 mm.
ISO 13503-2 Property Analysis Capabilities
- Particle Size Distribution
Additional Proppant Testing Services
- Sieve Analysis
- Acid Solubility Testing
- Turbidity Testing
- Bulk Apparent & Absolute Density
- Loss on Ignition (LOI)
LEGEND Frac Sand & Mining Consulting Services
- Blast Vibration and Air Pressure Compliance Monitoring
- Community Noise Monitoring
- Occupational/Site Boundary Monitoring (Noise, Silica, Particulate)
- Baseline Analysis for Environmental Impact Statement
- Assist in The Definition of Mitigation Requirements for New Mine Designs
- Evaluate and Characterize Proposed Extraction Pilot Plant and Operational By-Products
- Soil, Waste Rock, Tailings, Sludge, And Sediment Analysis for Trace Metals and Nutrients
Have more questions?
Whether you have questions about our services, need assistance, or have regulatory concerns, we can help.
Contact any of our locations.