Biocompatibility Evaluation of Breathing Gas Pathways in Healthcare Applications
Medical devices, such as ventilators, CPAP machines, and nebulizers, use compressed gases, compressors, and fans for delivery of gases to patients. The FDA requires the air output of these devices, as well as other delivery aids like tracheostomy tubes, cannulas, and respiratory therapy devices, be evaluated for contaminants.
Contact our St. Paul, MN location for more information.
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has published ISO Standard 18562:2017 – Biocompatibility Evaluation of Breathing Gas Pathways in Healthcare Applications – which address the risk of potentially hazardous contaminants delivered to patients through the gas pathways. The standard includes:
- Part 1 – Evaluation and testing within a risk management process
- Part 2 – Tests for emissions of particulate matter
- Part 3 – Tests for emissions of volatile organics compounds (VOCs)
- Part 4 – Tests for leachables in condensate
LEGEND offers custom air output capture systems for medical devices allowing real-time monitoring and sample collection/analysis for specific contaminants following Parts 2 and 3 of ISO 18562:2017. Additionally, LEGEND offers testing for leachables in condensate pursuant to Part 4.
LEGEND provides a variety of real-time monitoring instrumentation and laboratory analytical methods to meet the requirements of ISO 18562, including:
- Volatile Organics Compounds (EPA TO-15)
- PM2.5/PM10 Particulates (Real Time Monitoring)
- Leachables in Condensate
- Ozone, Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide
* LEGEND is ISO 9001-2008 registered and ISO 17025-2005 accredited